Arkham House, founded in 1939 by August Derleth and Donald Wandrei, was the most important and influential publisher of supernatural fiction from the 1940s through the mid-1980s. They began with their initial publication, H. P. Lovecraft's posthumous first collection of short fiction-THE OUTSIDER AND OTHERS in 1939. They achieved their mission of keeping alive the work of H.P. Lovecraft (through numerous volumes) and then went on to publish authors Clark Ashton Smith, August Derleth, Robert Bloch, Ray Bradbury, Robert E. Howard, Frank Belknap Long, Fritz Leiber, Donald Wandrei, and Henry S. Whitehead in the 1940s – a number of these are the author’s first books; Joseph Payne Brennan, E. Hoffmann Price, Ramsey Campbell, Manly Wade Wellman, Brian Lumley and others in the 1950s, 1960s and 1970s. Many of these authors went on to become well known writers of modern supernatural fiction. Arkham House was the major influence on the development of the horror and dark suspense genre into the 1970s and was largely responsible for the growth of the small press publishers of the 1960s onward devoted to the publication of supernatural fiction and poetry. We present here a largely complete run of Arkham House books with many volumes in superb condition, some exceptional associational copies as well as a number of signed books, several being uncommon to find signed.
ASTOUNDING is the longest running Science Fiction magazine, started in 1930 it continues today. Recently added is a new selection with many issues from 1939-1941. John W. Campbell, Jr. assumed the editorship in 1937. In 1939 Campbell presided over the "Golden Age of Science Fiction," which started with the July 1939 issue. His stable of authors is a who's who of classic writers: Robert A. Heinlein, Isaac Asimov, Theodore Sturgeon, Jack Williamson, L. Sprague DeCamp, A.E. van Vogt, Eric Frank Russell and on and on-many of whom he publshed their first stories. Additionaly during this time - the classic cover paintings by Hubert Rogers. Campbell edited the magazine until 1971, sheparding the name change in the 1960s to ANALOG.